Recreational space design
Western Sydney Parklands provides major recreational spaces for a diverse regional community. As the population of Western Sydney increases and urban development grows, the need for parkland infrastructure has become essential. The future of the parklands is a key component in the Greater Sydney Commission’s Western Parkland Vision, and the various needs of the community have been defined in the following programs:
- Precinct master-planning - part of the 2030 Plan of Management
- Capital works program - part of the 5-year Activation Plan
Trusted project expertise
The variety, scale, and complexity of the program needed a project team experienced in the definition and delivery of open space projects. As previous clients of APP, Western Sydney Parklands Trust (WSPT) understood that we could offer the expertise needed to manage a program of this scope. Collaborating closely with the WSPT team and external stakeholders, APP developed a robust framework for the master-planning and definition of capital works projects.
Specialist project strategy
APP experts gained a deep understanding of the client’s needs to produce a streamlined delivery process. For maximum efficiency, our team was embedded in the WSPT office, allowing quick decision-making and prompt action. This strategy meant the successful delivery of the following:
- An award-winning Plans of Management document detailing a staged process to accommodate WSPT’s expenditure requirements
- Bungarribee Stage 4 works
- Bungarribee entry precinct works
- Northern Tracks works
- Management of Southern Parklands master plan and Shale Hills Dog Park
The Plans of Management document ensured a successful project legacy. APP experts consulted all internal stakeholders, rectified any defects and provided a robust project handover.
APP is delighted to have delivered highly successful award-winning projects for Western Sydney Parklands, resulting in visits to the Parklands rising by 12% in the last twelve months. Industry awards include:
- AILA NSW and National Award of Excellence for the “Southern Parklands Framework” – awarded to Tyrrell Studio and Western Sydney Parklands Trust (APP involved as client representative)
- AILA NSW and National Award of Excellence for the Western Sydney Parklands 2030 Plan of Management.
Suellen Fitzgerald, Executive Director Western Sydney Parklands and Parramatta Trusts talks about working with APP and transforming Western Sydney Parklands: