Respositioning a dated asset
Perth’s iconic QV1 building designed in 1991 by Harry Seidler features an imposing lobby with panoramic views of the Swan River. The building’s owners, Eureka Real Assets and Investa Commercial Property Fund (ICPF), recognised that the asset no longer matched other commercial buildings in terms of retail amenity and end-of-trip facilities catering for tenants and the CBD clientele.
As a result, the co-owners looked to reposition the aged building into a unique premium grade building which would compete effectively in the WA market.
Providing a mixed-use development with a unique edge
APP were appointed to manage the Stage One redevelopment, comprising a new ground floor retail precinct, premium-grade end-of-trip facilities and childcare centre for the tenants. A key design component was the installation of an Oculus, an architectural glazed circular enclosure with a “bull’s-eye” opening in the ceiling.
At the outset, APP developed a Project Management Plan to manage the designs from concept through to delivery of the upgrades.
It was essential to maintain business continuity across the live environment. Our delivery experts made it a priority to understand the lease profile for all the retail assets, to accurately program the staging of the construction works and minimise impacts on the tenants. This enabled:
- Maintaining access, egress, plus use of the lobby and facilities at all times;
- Maintaining a minimum service level for the lobby amenity;
- Aligning the staging of the childcare centre with the commercial agreements associated with the operator;
- Aligning the retail delivery with the tenant delivery, for the purposes of sourcing early revenue opportunities where possible; and
- Delivering the works as soon as possible to attract prospective tenants ahead of competitors.
A refreshed landmark for Perth’s CBD
QV1’s ground floor plaza has become a thriving hub for tenants and the general public, with increased amenity and improved placemaking for both day-time and night-time use. The building’s state of the art end-of-trip facilities and retail amenity has placed QV1 at the forefront of Perth’s competitive commercial market and increased tenant opportunities for the co-owners.