Air base upgrade
The Royal Australian Navy’s Fleet air base at HMAS Albatross required a significant upgrade to:
- Meet the forecast operational and support capabilities for the next 30 years
- Improve operational efficiency
- Improve occupational health and safety
Defence sector expertise
APP was appointed to provide project management and contract administration services on the third stage of this redevelopment, due to our project management expertise and significant experience in the Defence sector.
The work involved 22 different building and infrastructure elements, including:
- Upgrades to trunk engineering services necessary to support operational capability.
- Improvements to base security
- Upgrades to buildings and facilities to meet contemporary standards
- Improvements to the working environment
- Construction of new facilities.
This project presented unique challenges:
- All work took place in a live Defence environment, with strict security protocols
- The base houses sensitive, state-of-the-art aircraft and equipment
- Ours was one of five large-scale construction projects being delivered simultaneously across the base.
We were able to draw on our extensive experience in working on live sites such as airports, casinos, hospitals and banking, to overcome these key challenges.
As part of our project delivery service we helped to develop and implement a sequencing strategy. This allowed us to coordinate the activity of contractors, consultants and other stakeholders, minimising disruption to operations across the base.