Comprehensive program of logistics facilities
Since entering the market in 2001, ALDI has built a sustainable, profitable business with a market share nearing 10% – providing Australians with a real alternative to the two main players in the Australian grocery market.
To achieve this, ALDI had to build extensive organisational, supply chain and physical infrastructure. They chose APP to support them through all stages of this process.
ALDI first appointed APP in 2001 to provide project delivery services on their second 53,000m2 logistics facility in Australia.
From there, we delivered a program of logistics facilities across QLD, VIC, NSW, WA and SA. Our role included:
- Business analysis
- Logistic network modelling
- Site selection and acquisition
- Design, construction and commissioning of individual facilities.
The challenge of acquiring suitable sites
Securing the large sites required for these new facilities in established urban areas is not an easy challenge. To overcome it we applied our range of commercially-focused real estate services, managing all aspects of the acquisitions, including:
- Market analysis
- Property strategy
- Analysing alternative transaction types (i.e. on and off balance sheet)
- Due diligence
- Deal finalisation
- Satisfaction of land sale contract conditions.
Through this approach we helped ALDI to successfully identify and acquire suitable sites in time to support their planned business growth.
Throughout the project we made a difference by:
- Listening to ALDI’s needs
- Sharing our commercial awareness and expertise
- Paying meticulous attention to detail
- Providing high-calibre people
- Delivering on our commitments.
ALDI particularly appreciated our fierce representation on their behalf, our honesty and our responsiveness.
APP continues to work with ALDI to develop and refine their logistic network delivery of distribution centres across the country. We are also managing a national program of upgrades to more than 300 ALDI retail stores.