The event tackled two staggering statistics:
1) Women make up about 12.7% of the entire construction industry in Australia and;
2) Women are known to leave the construction industry at a rate that is almost 40% higher than men.
APP Project Director Jeremy Tadros, together with panellists Sinead Redmond from HK Solutions, Jessica Newton from Gallagher Jeffs, Imogen Lyons from WT Partnerships and Velina Genova from Deakin University shed light into some of the biggest myths surrounding the industry including
- Women are not welcome in the construction industry
- Women don’t work on job sites
- Women cannot make a good salary as a construction professional and hard to progress in their career
- Women cannot have family while working in the construction industry
Allira Davies, Dana Riddle, Zandalee Neville and Mieke Buchhorn from APP were among the attendees, networking and sharing their career journey with the students.
Advocating for equal opportunities regardless of gender and workplaces that are free of discrimination and intimidation, panellists talked about their personal experience in the industry, career path and challenges along the way.
Find out more about NAWIC here.