The Sydney Gateway will provide a direct connection between the new WestConnex motorways at St Peters Interchange and Sydney Airport International and Domestic terminals. The project will improve connectivity to Sydney Airport, support the efficient distribution of freight from Port Botany and Sydney Airport and improve the liveability of Mascot town centre by reducing traffic volumes through the local road network.
The project includes:
• new access road to Terminal T1 from the St Peters Interchange through the former Tempe Tip
• new bridges over Alexandra Canal
• new overpasses across the Botany Rail Line and Canal Road
• new link roads to Sydney Airport land connecting on either side of the Botany Rail Line
• new link roads connecting Sydney Airport’s existing and proposed freight facilities on either side of Alexandra Canal
• an active transport link to maintain bicycle and pedestrian connections between Tempe, Sydney Airport, and Mascot
• widening Qantas Drive to three lanes in each direction
• new elevated access viaduct and overpass from the upgraded Qantas Drive into Terminals T2/T3
• intersection upgrades or modifications at Robey Street/Seventh Street/Qantas Drive, Ross Smith Avenue/Sir Reginald Ansett Drive, and Shiers Avenue/Sir Reginald Ansett Drive.
APP have partnered with SMEC to secure the Independent Verifier role, expected to run for four years, completing in late 2024. It provides important continuity for APP’s Infrastructure team with longstanding projects such as NorthConnex and Sydney Metro City & Southwest TSE nearing completion.
Scott Johnston will be the Project Director with John Crouche as IC Representative for Construction and project lead for Stage 1, and Joseph Cacdac as Senior Project Engineer and project lead for Stage 3.