The project was commissioned by key stakeholders, property owners, Northwest Healthcare and Epworth Healthcare, the existing and ongoing anchor tenant for the facility.
The total value of the project is $143M and required a multifaceted town planning process consisting of a VCAT planning permit, change of use application and two separate construction management plans to facilitate timely commencement of construction.
The new tower will extend the existing six-storey hospital from level five and includes the refurbishment of components of the existing floors that will commence simultaneously with stages of the new build.
The detailed description of the project consists of the following:
- B1 – B3: New basement levels - accommodating 44 new car parks.
- Ground & Level 2: New and refurbished medically focused tenancies - including pathology and medical imaging, as well as a new and larger kitchen, café, staff lounge and reception area.
- Level 3: New and refurbished theatre floor - including of five new theatres, staff amenities, theatre admissions, recovery and offices
- Level 4 to 6: New inpatient unit floors - comprising 62 new IPU beds and supporting services
- Level 7: A new executive office level for Epworth Eastern
- Level 8 to 14: 7 levels of new consulting suites
- Level 15: New plant level to service the tower
Due to the complexity of the build and the requirement for the facility to remain operational at all times, the project will be delivered through seven stages under a Design and Construction procurement model, with Icon Co as the head contractor.
Construction commenced in July 2019 and the completion date for the project is earmarked for November 2021.