I started as a Project Manager and progressed my career through the roles of Project Director, Business Unit Leader, State Head of Projects, Operations Manager and now General Manager Delivery.
During that time I have worked on many varied, interesting and challenging projects. These include:
- Sporting facilities for the Sydney Olympic Games
- Several hospital operating theatres, emergency departments and intensive care units
- The largest office tower in Brisbane
- University auditoriums
- Office fitout for a State Premier and Cabinet Room (twice)
- Woodchop Arena and Show Dog, Cat & Horse Pavilions
- Support facilities for Royal Australian Air Force fighter planes
- Event management for an international swimming meeting
- Business Case for the redevelopment of a Defence Force base
I have also had 17 continuous years in business management roles; managing people, finances, service delivery and business development.
A very enriching experience.
In my current role of General Manager Delivery, I am responsible for assisting the business in securing new strategic commissions and providing executive leadership and delivery of services on select projects.
When I joined APP there were 25 people in the company. That has grown to over 400 people now. I have worked alongside some very talented and committed people, many of whom have helped me develop my career. This has been augmented by considerable formal learning and development programmes over the years, including project management technical skills, leadership and business development.
I would like to think I have helped some APP people along the way also, through guidance and support in project management service delivery along with mentoring in managing people and situations. This is something I have enjoyed doing.
Whilst APP has changed over the years one thing that has remained constant is the culture and values. People striving to succeed, working together and doing the right thing was there when I joined and remains today. That suits me.