St Jude’s Church in Bowral is enjoying the new community building, recently finished in February. The 1874 Anglican Church was in need of additional space to facilitate future growth as well as provide for a range of ministry and community activities.
Essential to the brief was to amalgamate the new building with the existing heritage-listed church. St Judes engaged the services of renowned heritage architect Ridley Smith from NBRS and partners. Sadly Ridley passed away before the project was completed but not before the design was completed and approved by the church committee.
Ridley produced an excellent design for a new building, navigating the many site constraints including the existing buildings, the historic cemetery and the conservation and heritage aspects of the site. APP was engaged shortly after the passing of Ridley to project manage the construction of the new building.
The new building has capacity for 250 people, an adjacent but separate area for children’s ministry activities connected to an outdoor play area, office space for the ministers and administration staff with easy access for the public, a joint communal area for informal gatherings prior to and after worship services and other functions, modernised and larger kitchen facilities, new toilet facilities and off street parking.
The overall goal was to build a modern church complex which is sensitive to the heritage values of the site, while providing for a wide range of ministries and community activities, and it has achieved this successfully.
The project was completed in February 2015 under a design and construct agreement with a local contractor, Camarda and Cantrill. Since its official opening by the Anglican Archbishop of Sydney, Glenn Davies, the building has received numerous accolades and is likely to be entered in the MBA heritage awards.